Welcome to the Derby Branch Messageboard.

When creating a username, please use your real name and put your Membership No. in the signature.
Please abide by the Society Web Guidelines when posting.

Profile Register Memberlist Search Log in to check your private messages Usergroups FAQ Log in

Marcus enters Tesrae
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Derby Fools And Heroes Forum Index -> Tesrae

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Master

WillBrown

Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:15 pm    
Post subject: Marcus enters Tesrae

*He trudges slowly towards the town, looking quite weary and muddy, but cheerful none the less. There is a slight bounce in his step as he wanders closer through the fields, occasionally stopping and stooping to inspect some flower or insect. He pauses briefly at the gates before heading inside.*

Master

WillBrown

Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:49 am    
Post subject:

*He returns after a few days, and heads into the town, towards the Militia barracks. He smiles at any passers by, before approaching.*

"Good day, is anyone present? I wish to speak to the Cor'Faernos or Cor'Thear Cal'ethil please"

Too Damn Frothy

NPC

Too Damn Frothy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:16 pm    
Post subject:

*A dwarf of the Tesrae militia steps up and salutes.*

Aye, right you are Sir. You are expected.

*The dwarf leads you into the barracks and to what passes for an office.*

They'll be in once we 'av secured the building from potential eavesdroppers Sir!

*The dwarf exits and leaves you alone in the room, with a rack of scroll cases and a table with a bottle of golden liquid and several glasses upon it. A few minutes later an elf in militia uniform limps in.*

*He addresses the dwarf outside.*

Private, can you see if the Cor'Thear has returned from his patrol yet and advise him that he and his men may join us at his discretion.

*He closes the door and then limps over to his seat, pausing to bow slightly before sitting painfully down.*

Creoso, mellonamin, Sir Knight. I trust that you have been well?

Teöl Maegalion - Cor'Faernos of the Tesrae Militia

Branch Ref

Chris

Branch Ref

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:30 pm    
Post subject:

Cal'ethil steps into the office closing the door behind him, seemingly not noticing the small trail of mud he has left behind. He throws a salute to the Cor'Faernos before casting a glance between Teol and Sir Marcus.

"Cor'Faernos, you required my presence?"

Too Damn Frothy

NPC

Too Damn Frothy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:59 pm    
Post subject:

Cor'Thear. Actually, Sir Marcus made the request. Please have a seat.

Master

WillBrown

Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:25 pm    
Post subject:

"Mae govannen Cor'Faernos, Cor'Thear" *Marcus stumbles over the words and pronunciation, before resorting back to the human tongue*

"I have asked to see you both due to some urgent news I have received."

*He hands over translated copies of the letter from Vincent, and a marked map.*

"It appears the Ironscar dwarves mean to strike soon, on a bloody march through Derwentshire. Now, as well as yourself being a target here, I have another reason for wishing to speak to you.

I have been busy these past few days, dispatching pigeons to various places of support. One of these went to the Knight Commander. You may be aware of the oath he swore to keep Knights a certain distance from Eldenshay. He now wishes to bring forces into the area to counter this new threat. He wishes to let the Regime, and those of import know of this, so it is not seen as a direct attack on the forest.

My question to you is this, is this achievable with the situation as it is?"

Too Damn Frothy

NPC

Too Damn Frothy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:37 pm    
Post subject:

*Teöl gives Cal'ethil a significant glance before speaking cautiously.*

That depends on what you mean by achievable my friend. Do you ask whether the Regime will grant such request at this unstable time, or do you press for other account?

Master

WillBrown

Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:03 pm    
Post subject:

I wonder if the regime will accept it, but also to ask if there is a way of this not..... looking unfavourable towards the knights.

I welcome your thoughts.

Too Damn Frothy

NPC

Too Damn Frothy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:10 pm    
Post subject:

I strongly doubt the current regime will accept it. I also know that the regime would quickly point out the threat of attack by the knights to shore up their own faltering popularity.

Now if we are considering a hypothetical situation, then what word do you think we could carry to the common folk of the wood to assure them that the Knights are not there to conquer their lands and scatter their families to the basest corners of Ithron? What guarantee can we whisper to them that should they oppose the Regime, they would be fighting for their freedom, their right to follow the Seven and to govern their own home under the auspices and laws of the King of Ithron?

Master

WillBrown

Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:45 am    
Post subject:

I agree. I would not wish for all the hard work done so far to reduce the Regime's influence to be undone.

Perhaps if the Knights swear an oath not to attack the forest whilst the threat from the Ironscars remains?

We are going to need these extra men, to try and bolster what little forces Derwentshire has, so we must try to find a way.

Too Damn Frothy

NPC

Too Damn Frothy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:25 am    
Post subject:

Not meaning any offence Sir Knight, but the oaths of Knights in general are not held in high regard since Sir Constantine had Saeren executed for effectively failing to commit treason. There is a wide belief amongst the forest that the current generation of Edain Knights use oaths as a salve to their own conscience, rather than a promise they will keep no matter what the eventual price.

Our main advantage would be that the Knights would be there to fight the Naugrim. If a clear and concise line is adopted then the regimes propaganda mechanism may be stalled. Something along the line of "the Knights of Ithron have agreed not to attack the Forest as long as the peace is maintained, but that also means that they are honour-bound not to allow by inaction the forest to be attacked. Therefore the Knights will join the defence against the Ironscar threat."

If this is coupled with some sort of guarantee that if the resistance are successful in their campaign to overthrow the regime then a new council will be free to govern the forest as long as they swear fealty to the King, then we may drive home that important wedge between the regime and the people.

Master

WillBrown

Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:31 am    
Post subject:

I understand the view.

I think the line sounds reasonable. I will contact Sir Robin and get his view. I am not sure quite what he agreed with the forest some time ago, so the wording may need to change slightly. This at least gives us both something to work with. I think swearing fealty to the King and to obey the laws of the Country, and we may certainly see the support we need from the nobility

Too Damn Frothy

NPC

Too Damn Frothy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:37 am    
Post subject:

I doubt that the common folk will trust that they will gain fair treatment if they have to take all the risks first. The chief message of the Aglarîn is that at the end of the last war Saeren surrendered unconditionally despite still being in a strong position. The conditions imposed by the King were obeyed to the letter and yet Saeren was executed, the Tahl'Ohtar betrayed and the forest suddenly surrounded by hostile troops.

We need to let the people know that they will be fighting for their own freedom, not for their own enslavement or destruction.

Branch Ref

Chris

Branch Ref

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:13 pm    
Post subject:

Cal'ethil remains silent for a moment, listening to the conversation before speaking. "This is sheer folly. Your Knight Commander no matter his intentions simply does not understand how Tyressen and his political officers will twist the situation to their advantage. Why if I were him I would easily spin the tale to make it appear as though naugrim and edain were united in cause...not neccessarily an entirely unlikely turn of events.

In the end the human practice of ritualistic and set piece battles are the antithesis of elven warfare, whereas human warriors espouse virtues such as honour, courage and duty as virtues in and of themselves, elven warriors take them for granted as virtues of necessity. Aspiring to those same virtues in a philosophical or metaphysical way is viewed with suspicion, war fighting is a necessity of survival and indulging one's sensibilities in “dressing up” its prosecution in flowers terms is seen as the height of arrogance and narrow mindedness. That is why the Tahl;Ohtar loyal to Tyressen or not, will see this as an act of aggression, the Edain knights are simply not like us...well do we remember how the Griffin Knights sought to use our people as mere fodder."

"That said...if they were drawn up along the western banks of the River Asher, or even better along the low line of hills south-west of the Drakheart Forest that lie across the plain between it and Fengate. That may perhaps be suitably far from Eldenshay as to not cause a stir." He taps his chin thoughtfully.

Master

WillBrown

Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:18 pm    
Post subject:

*Marcus hands over a message document*
Quote:
The Knights of Ithron exist to protect all the people of Ithron, including the people of Eldenshay, against whatever threatens them. The Knights therefore have no intention or desire to attack the Forest - if they did, they would then have become that which they aim to defeat. Instead they will defend the Forest against the Ironscar threat, whether the people of the Forest aid them or not.

If they wish an example, I would draw their attention to the land of Halingay, near Portsdean, who called on me recently to mediate for them in a dispute. Their King knows I have no wish to dictate or over-rule their laws and customs, but he had enough faith in me and King Robert to accept guidance and counsel from me. To be honest all I did was suggest things that the various elves involved might wish to discuss, and different ways of looking at things, and in the end they came to their own agreement. They could have done that without me, but they seem to think I helped. Apart from that, the main dealings we have had with them recently have been for mutual defence. This shows that Elven lands can exist entirely happily within Ithron, we are glad to have them, and they benefit as much as we do.

I will gladly see such a guarantee given, though the granting lies with the King not me. In fact, if they would like to write the guarantee they would like to receive, I will help them get it to a form acceptable to the King. I wouldn't expect it to require much of them other than fealty and adopting the Law - what those don't cover comes down to plain decency, really, and I would never expect anything else from Elves.

"This is something I have received from him recently. I realise mistakes were made in the past, and we cannot undo those mistakes, but let us try once again to not make them a second time. I know it can succeed.

You talk of taking risk my friend, yet I am prepared to risk much also to seek the peace we want. As are many of us outside of the forest. For example, I know that several humans travelled into the Halls of the Dînmaethor. A great risk surely?

Any forces would, I believe, not have to enter the forest, or indeed travel closely to it, unless they were wished for or needed.

That sounds like a reasonable distance from the forest.

Derby Fools And Heroes Forum Index -> Tesrae