Welcome to the Derby Branch Messageboard.

When creating a username, please use your real name and put your Membership No. in the signature.
Please abide by the Society Web Guidelines when posting.

Profile Register Memberlist Search Log in to check your private messages Usergroups FAQ Log in

The Plan - The Prophet and the Dominus
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Derby Fools And Heroes Forum Index -> The Safe Room Network

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Branch Ref

Chris

Branch Ref

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:10 pm    
Post subject: The Plan - The Prophet and the Dominus

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Following on from our discussion, I will outline the nature of our two pronged plan to severely cripple the Project, and rid ourself of the Dominus. It is risky, fraught with danger, and most assuredly be considered "balls to the wall", however we are on the back foot and have little choice but to act.

Following on from the hard work of our local necromancers (in particular Grey and Tobias), and the adventuring community, we understand that the Dominus is in fact a LIVING spirit, hence why it cannot be laid to rest, to sent to Kharach's Halls.

This Plan, intends for us to use a suitable living vessel, with which we can bind the spirit of the Dominus to, so that the creature may be finally killed, and it's spirit sent on to the Halls of Kharach.

However, to bind the spirit, we will need a living vessel, that is itself devoid of a soul. Studying the arcane texts, I believe I have discovered a formula (with the assistance of the necromancers) to achieve this. But we will need a "volunteer".

Now, to fully take hold and inbed itself in a "host" the Dominus will need a vessel that is powerful and is robust spiritually.

What I propose, is that we launch an assault upon the Cathedral of the Six - the headquarters of the Project, and take their Prophet, alive. Myself and the necromancers, along with Mhairi, will then be able to send the soul onto Kharach's Halls, whilst keeping the body "alive". This is the first stage.

The second stage, will need to take place another day, when we will then need to find the Dominus spirit, and its current host. Using a reverse of the formula to empty a body of its spirit, I believe I can alter it to bind the Dominus spirit temporarily, so that it can be transported to the waiting empty vessel. Once the spirit has been transported, it will be possible to bind the spirit to the new vessel, at which point the Dominus will then be able to be killed, laid to rest and Derwentshire freed from its grip.

Obviously, this information cannot be spread from beyond these walls, lest our enemies (many and varied) gain wind of it. Having examined the options though, this is the best choice we have.

Branch Ref

Chris

Branch Ref

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:51 pm    
Post subject:

The Cathedral of the Dark Six

Objectives

- Travel to the Cathedral
- Navigate past the defences and the wards, including various unholy protections
- Find the Prophet
- Disable the Prophet and bring him close to death, but not kill him, so the soul can be sent to Kharach's Halls and the body kept alive.

Obstacles

The Unholy Wards - it is believed that the Cathedral is so unholy, that it forcibly converts those not of faith, to the worship of the Dark Six. Personally, given how unbelievably powerful this dweomer would be, I don't think it is quite that simple. My hyopthesis, is that the Cathedral exentuates the desire for those without faith to indulge in the vices of the Dark Six, which leads to their conversion.

Solution - Father Bracca of Crowa is owed a debt by a creature of the Fae. Whilst this may be two pronged, the idea is for him to call upon this, to mask those not of faith, from the unholy wards temptation. Secondly, all those not of faith should have their souls tempered by a sermon from a selection of priests, and preferably be gifted artefacts related to the worship of the Seven to carry. These should be symbolic, and not as crass or disrespectful as holy symbols. Thirdly, those not of faith should imbibe a potion of firm resolve, to ensure that the alchemy protects them against the insidious influence.

Dark Gods Followers - the Cathedral will undoubtedly contain followers of the Six. Whilst the Project is smart enough not to concentrate all of their followers in the same place, we will likely have to content with the following.
- Fygolians and Githasians, shattering weapons - Zathras will be able to protect one or two of our "key weapons"
- Abraxians armoured in the blessing of their lord, and bonded to their weapons. Again, whilst the may have some resistance to magic, it shouldn't be huge (there are only so many powerfully ranked members of the Church). Mages are to burn away these resistances with small spells such as Drop, so that their weapons can be destroyed. If their weapon is destroyed, and it is bonded to them, it will also cause a backlash of energies which will seriously burn and scar the arm holding it.
- Kryganites - likely to be very tough, we will need armoured fighters.
- Heretics - we will likely be outnumbered. I suggest a plethora of ensorcelled weapons, and whiilst I am loathe to say it, plenty of poison.

The Prophet - whilst I believe I have mastered the formula which will allow me to send the soul to the Halls, using a specially prepared charged scroll, I will need both Necromancers and Physicians to help me bring the body to the brink of death - but keep it alive.

Requirements

- Father Bracca to communicate with the creature Nym.
- Priests who are to accompany us to consider how they may firm the faith, and bless those without it.
- Firm Resolves (for those without faith)
- Venom (lots of it)
- Maps of the surrounding environs to be acquired and studied, any prisoners to be interrogated as to the layout.

----

I propose that this initial venture go forth on the second weekend of next month. Which provides us with three weeks to prepare.

Also, I am going to speak to the Alchemists about arranging a bulk purchase of Firm Resolves and Venom. Given that I cannot pay for it all, what I suggest is that everyone who is intending to come along, chips in a few crowns. That way, working together, we can achieve greater things.

Your thoughts - gentlemen, ladies?

Guildsman

Penny

Guildsman

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:51 pm    
Post subject:

It looks like a good plan, I haven't found any reason why Crowa would seriously object but I'll keep the caveat that I might have to drop out if I do find one.

How are you going to send the soul of the Prophet to Kharach while he's still alive and why woulnd't just doing that work on the Dominus? If it's guild secrets obviously don't answer here, but it looks like something which might need addressing.

We obtained some religious relics from the Konn at the weekend, by relics they don't appear to have actual power but they have inspiring words which might help.

Branch Ref

Chris

Branch Ref

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:24 pm    
Post subject:

Certainly, I understand if religious obligations are an obstacle, but I honestly cannot think of a better way to do this.

I dislike just saying "School Secrets" and leaving it at that, since it very rarely enables trust. The simple answer is, "it's magic", the more complicated answer is as follows:

Technically the spell will kill the Prophet, by sundering the link between soul and body, and sending it to Kharach's Halls. However, the nature of the ritual will actually keep the body alive, hence, why necromancers and a physician will need to administer to it. This is by no means a standard, every day occurrence, but a specific aethyric formula I have concoted for this purpose - using the power of a charged scroll of lay to rest, and I am certainly hopeful that I will never have to do so again.

Guildsman

Penny

Guildsman

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:53 pm    
Post subject:

Why can the Dominus not be laid to rest if its body and soul have been separated?

Branch Ref

Chris

Branch Ref

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:02 pm    
Post subject:

Because he never actually died. I'm not sure about the specifics other than "it's magic" - since when I tried to lay the spirit to rest, I felt the Lord Kharach's displeasure at trying to send him a living soul.

Hence, the idea to put the soul in a living body and then kill it.

It is also why the body has to be living, but empty, otherwise the spirit would simply be possessing someone else and not truly inhabiting the body.

Guildsman

Penny

Guildsman

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:38 pm    
Post subject:

So does the Prophet of Abraxis have to actually die? How is his body alive afterwards?

Branch Ref

Chris

Branch Ref

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:44 am    
Post subject:

I did actually answer this above.

Quote:
Technically the spell will kill the Prophet, by sundering the link between soul and body, and sending it to Kharach's Halls. However, the nature of the ritual will actually keep the body alive, hence, why necromancers and a physician will need to administer to it. This is by no means a standard, every day occurrence, but a specific aethyric formula I have concoted for this purpose - using the power of a charged scroll of lay to rest, and I am certainly hopeful that I will never have to do so again.

Essentially, he will have to be mortally wounded, and then, upon the cusp of his spirit passing to the aether, I will perform the ritual. Then the necromancers and physicians will have to prevent the body from expiring.

Branch Ref

Chris

Branch Ref

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:19 pm    
Post subject:

Unfortunate development - Father Jacques is unable to call upon the Fae for this endeavour. Does anyone else have a favour to call upon from this Nym? If not, then we will just have to adapt and continue.

Branch Ref

Chris

Branch Ref

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:59 pm    
Post subject:

I have seen relatively few replies here. Does this mean the idea has little support or is it simply that adventurer's are avoiding this place?

Furthermore, do we have any offers to pool together funds for more alchemy?

Apprentice

HamishDS

Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:04 pm    
Post subject:

I've got the body of the dominus last host. Dead, but it still retains the soul of the original owner.

While the body was being a host, he should have been able to see and hear whatever the Dominus was doing. If anyone has useful questions, please let me know and I'll arrange for them to be asked and feed back the information.

I believe he has been the host for approximately a month. So questions on details prior to that may likely be unable to be answered.

The body had been damaged beyond the point I'd believe any sort of resurrection would be possible. So I've prepared the body to be kept for communing with.

Kind regards,

Tim

Guildsman

Penny

Guildsman

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:16 pm    
Post subject:

You've got quite a detailed plan, perhaps people have everything they need to know?

If we have no way of protecting those of no faith, might this have to be restricted to those of faith? We could probably bring the Prophet back in deathsleep. Do we know for sure how people are being converted? Going against someone's free will to forcefully convert does not sound how any of the Thirteen work. If it is just because of a lot of temptation, keeping in the company of followers of the Seven doing regular preaching why they are better might help?

Branch Ref

Chris

Branch Ref

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:17 pm    
Post subject:

Superb Tim! How did you come across it, could you describe the circumstances to me?

I'll think on the matter and see about getting Grey or Tobias to perform the relevant rituals.

Actually Lucy, I do have a plan, it just has to be altered.

Since we cannot rely upon the gifts of the Fae, we shall put our trust in the Alchemists Guild and the words of the Faithful. Given that this is a subtle rather than an immediate manifestation, I believe that by imbibing potions that will protect the mind against temptation (read, Firm Resolves) then it will help prevent the allure of the Dark Gods taking hold. Furthermore, it will be imperative that the worshippers of the Seven, namely the priests, abjure the spirits of those who are not.

Master

sjball

Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:40 pm    
Post subject:

Is there anything we can do to distract our opponents?
It might be easier to reach our targets if the enemy is looking elsewhere.

There are risks with this, they might be more alert to anything in coming.
But their forces could be spread.

I am concerned a the nitty gritty detail of our approach to the 1st target.
If he is as good as they claim, he will not be so easy to bag.

Regards
Father Bracca

Branch Ref

Chris

Branch Ref

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:40 am    
Post subject:

That we have time to do? I don't believe so. The insidious and fractured nature of the Project makes them difficult to target specifically. However, with Credo's presence routing them out across the country, I'm certain they already have their hands full dealing with that.

I've asked Heather McRory to look into maps of the region, but haven't heard back from her on the matter. Since, due to the mystical nature of the Cathedral, it makes it very difficult to get close to plan out a route.

It'll more than likely be a case of making our way there, and forging our own opportunity. Obviously, this isn't ideal, but what choice do we have? I'm open to better ideas.

Failing that I have been reading some interesting literature by Albrecht Skinner on Cosmological-Thaumaturgy, and the use of ritual sites to call forth a blazing comet from the heavens...

Derby Fools And Heroes Forum Index -> The Safe Room Network